Sunday 17 November 2013

Developing themes in the print room

This week I have been in the print room twice. I have found this project that I have worked a lot slower  in the print room, I am unsure why this is.
I have continued to develop my two aspects of my theme together ( flowers and geometric shapes) working into my sublimation prints using foiling, flocking , disperse dyes and devore.
On Monday I managed to completely Finnish 4 samples I am pleased with how these turned out. Within the samples I have experimented with placement of design as well as a combination of techniques.


These samples have allowed me to explore a combination textures from the flock to the reflection of the foiling. I have also been able to explore the placement and scale of my geometric shapes I feel that this has helped me with the designing of my new digital prints.


On Thursday I was in the print room again this time I wanted to  experiment with devore onto my sublimation prints which I did on polyester cotton. Sadly these didnt work as the cotton content of the fabric wasn't high enough to see the effect of the Devore paste on the fabric. This really annoyed me as I was unable to experiment with the samples as I had planned.


Because the test I did on my fabric with the devore paste didn't work I had to rethink how I was going to develop my polyester cotton sublimation prints. In the end I decided to experiment with direct printing disperse dyes on to the fabric using hand cut stencils this allowed me to experiment further both with disperse dyes as well as placement of motif.

I still want to experiment with devore however I feel this will now have to wait till Ba 8 as I feel I need to continue to develop my other successful experiments in the print room allowing me to continue to move my project forward with my deadline soon approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment