Thursday 1 May 2014

Printing My Black & White Geometric Scarf

On Wednesday I had booked to use the print room from 9.15am till 3.30pm, my plan for the day was to print the background layers of my geometric scarf using my existing screens along with the paper stencils I had cut the day before. As well as this I also wanted to Dye a metre of velvet I bought in preparation for an another scarf design. 

I knew that this was a lot of work to do in the time But I was hopeful I could achieve it. For inspiration I took my small b & w samples which I printed before the easter holidays.




I began In the same way I did with the samples above by printing dots for the background, I used 2 of my old screens to do this with contrast dots of 2 sizes with one hand painted dot design and the other a computer created dot design. I then printed my collaged geometric paper stencils on top. I had to do this in sections as all of the larger screens had design upon them already and I needed an open screen. 






I managed to finish the printing of the patterns on the scarf I had to do in 8 layers which is why it took all day! I did have a slight hiccup with the dye the dots I printed first i used a black/blue ink by accident I rectified this for the top layer of the paper collage. Although this was not planned the effect created is very interesting. I also managed to dye my velvet black as planned so overall the day was very successful. 
I plan to nest work back into this design using devore with further paper stencils and screens, I am hopeful this will create an interesting look. 
I have decided to print both the hand scarves and then see if I feel they fit in with the others if they don't I will use them as large samples putting them into a fashion context using bias binding and have them in my portfolio. 


No comments:

Post a Comment