Friday 16 May 2014

Print Room Thursday

Yesterday I spent 9 hours in the print room trying to finish off all my samples fro hand in next Friday. The day started well, I began by printing the edge of my velvet scarf using pink discharge dye. I used a screen which I created in Ba7 of spots which I used to foil the edge of my shift dress.


I did this first as I knew it would need to be steamed and washed before I could get on with the rest of the design. When I got it out the steamer I was disappointed with the colour of the discharge as it was more fluro pink than when I had previously used it.

While that was in the steamer I got on with devore printing my final samples using the new screen design I created last week.



I was really pleased with how these turned out, in particular the thistle print I feel has been very successful with the different colours and textures working well together to create a finished design. My plan for these finished samples is to show them in context using bias binding and pleating. 

I also worked into one of the A3 wool samples I had printed. The design was one I made for the first part of BA8 but I never got round to working into it the way I had planned. 



Here I have foiled the dashes of the design i think this has worked successful and I am glad that I finally got round to creating the effect I have been planning to do for months.

Once I had done this the scarf was out of the steamer and I got to work devore printing the block thistle pattern from the velvet. 


When I was burning this off I thought that a section hadn't worked and I was right, due to the rush in time because of my bus this put me into panic mode. In my haste I painted devore on the section that hadn't worked and somehow I got discharge on a section I didn't want it on ( I have no clue how it got on there). So when I heat pressed the devore the discharge took the colour from both an edge and the centre of the design ruining it. I was so gutted and felt like I had wasted my days work. 



The Images show the discharge mistakes.

Thanks to my friends and Yasmine the technician in the print room Yesterday, they helped me think logically and suggested I book in the print room for Monday had there had been a cancellation and A free spot. I did this and have booked in the dye lab as well. I will either try to fix the issues on the above scarf by re dying it and more devore and then printing the planned layers of discharge on top or I will start agin completely and dye and print a whole new scarf. 
In the words of Tim Gun from Project Runway "Im going to have a make it work moment!!"


No comments:

Post a Comment