Sunday 30 March 2014

Developing Devore

On Tuesday I was in the print room before my tutorial. I was working to develop the Black & White samples which I printed last week. With these samples I wanted to develop my both devore and foiling,  focusing on placement and how they can work to enhance a pattern. 


In this first sample I experimented with composition and placement, using newsprint to block sections of the pattern created a layered design which I feel has been successful. This design was created from 4 different layers of printing.


In this second sample I experimented with devoring patterns into negative space, and placement of devore to create depth to the sample.


In this third sample I experimented with creating a linear pattern working in stripes of patterns. I think this has made an interesting pattern but I feel it is the weakest of the three designs which I have created.


I love the black foil on a block of black dye, I feel it creates a subtle effect which is highlighted when caught by light.


I think this placement of devore has been really successful. although this design is simple I feel it looks very effective.


On this design I printed a layer of spots first, when I devore the section away this silhouette design was left. This is a happy accident, I think the effect is really interesting and adds a new dimension to the sample.


Close up of black dots.

I feel that this experiments have been successful and I am planning to develop these into some of my scarf designs for the Degree show.

No comments:

Post a Comment