Sunday 23 March 2014

Creating New Digital Designs

With the Easter Holidays approaching I have been thinking about my final deadline and the degree show, which is just 4 weeks after the Easter Holidays. Im not going to lie that is a scary fact! We had a lecture on Thursday from a past student who now works at Cath Kidston. I found this such a helpful Lecture filled with excellent advice. 

Although I would say that I mostly design for the context of fashion, I am always dubious to force my work into a specific context. In the Lecture on Thursday Sally Wood suggested that at this stage it is not necessary to show work when displayed as a specific context, Instead just show the design off to its best like I did at Stew, Enabling the viewer to pick the context of the work. 

I really like this suggestion it made me feel relived as this was something I was worried about for the Degree show. Nick had suggested I make fashion outcomes showing my designs made into fashion Garments like I did for Ba7. I have to say that this was not something I was keen on. At the degree show we have the opportunity to sell our design, taking this into consideration I have decided to create a series of scarfs, similar to the scarf I made for the Norwich scarf Competition in year 2. This will allow me to show my design and at the same time be something I can sell, creating the best of both worlds.

I have started to experiment to create some Initial designs experimenting with how my designs might work as Square Scarfs: 





 I am really pleased with this above Design, so much so that I think I will make it one of my final designs. My plan is to have it printed digitally onto Silk Satin Viscose. i will then take the design into the print room using devore on the white squares leaving that area of the sample sheer with a bold edge and the check and flowers siting on the top. I think this will make a really interesting effect.




No comments:

Post a Comment