Saturday 25 January 2014

Trends

As part of my initial research I have been looking at trends, focusing on how my work can be suited / fit within the current trends for textiles for fashion.
I have to say I don't usually focus on trends, I tend to find I am influenced by them unintentionally. I read a lot of magazines and love to shop so am constantly viewing trends and I think that these observation tend to inspire my creative process. 

Below are some trends which I feel my work for Ba8 can fit in to: 

These first trends where taken from the online shopping website Boohoo


I felt that this first trend, summarises exactly want I want to achieve within my geometric prints which will be inspired by the 60s. The trend which is called Flash Mod is taking inspiration from the 60s and discusses the eye features as bold pops of colour and placement prints. These are 2 key aspects of my project and are both themes I am wanting to explore and use within my work.



This second trend Chalk Pastels, I liked the colour pallet, I felt the colours had a fresh and vibrant feel to them and would work well towards a selection of fashion fabric designs. I particularly like that in the write up of the trend it spoke about a metallic twist, I my project I am keen to continue to use foil as an embellishment to my samples. I feel that folk can add both depth and texture to a fabric.


This third trend I felt summed up My idea of print with print in particular Florals. The trend talks about pick and mix patterns, this is a theme I am aspiring to within my three collections. I am hopeful that my designs will all be unique but work together as a collection.

These next trends I have sourced from Pinterest:


This first trend caught my eye through the combination of prints. I like the way they have combined nature inspired prints with geometric marks in this case circles. I think the unstructured uniformity of the geometric shapes works well with the organic nature imagery. In Ba7 I began to think about geometrics in a less structured sense, by this I mean using marks to create shapes e.g. using lines to create squares etc.  I am going to experiment with this idea as this trend shows it works well with nature inspired imagery which my flower power patterns will be.


In a similar way to the trend above I like the way this trend shows a combination of flowers with geometric shapes and lines. This trend in particular focuses on placement of motif, this is something which I am keen to focus on in my project. Placement of motif was key in the 6os and as can be seen in this trend it is still key with textiles for fashion.


I liked this trend for its combination of texture and tone with a floral print. I think the contrast between tone, texture and structure within these designs is really interesting. I am keen to focus on texture within my prints, with them beginning digitally printed, I am scared of them feeling flat. I feel through texture of marks within my drawings I will be able to add depth to my designs in a similar way to this trend.

In these last trends which I have taken from Pinterest I have focused of colour:


This first trend is a colour palette for Spring / Summer 15 in is inspired by holiday hues of colour. I really like the bold contrast of the colours this is the contrast I am hoping to create within my designs.


This image above is the Pantone colour of the year. I became aware of this through the US tv show Project Runway All Stars, in Which the contestants had to use this colour and create a new fashion trend for Spring/Summer 14. I am keen to try and incorporate this colour within some of my designs. The image below shows the colour report from Pantone for Spring 2014.


I am keen to use this inspiration from these varied trends within my own designs, I feel this will help my designs fit within multiply trends and keep my work looking current.

No comments:

Post a Comment