Saturday 25 January 2014

Drawing Inspiration

Within Ba8 I want to continue to create Floral abstract motifs, I feel this style is in keeping with my 60s theme. To do this I am going to continue to use mono printing and other successful aspects of drawing which I used in Ba7.
To start with I used Pinterest to gain some inspiration, for this I focused on marks used and how layers of colours have been applied to add tone and texture to the motifs being drawn.



In this drawing and the one below I like how the artist has used thickness of line within mark making techniques to create depth and detail with her drawings. I also really like the abstract qualities her drawings have. The textures she has created through mark making are really interesting and would work really well when developed into a digital print.



In the drawing above I love how the artist Lily Pulitzer has worked with negative space and different tones of colours to create an interesting floral motif. I feel this method would work well when developed using CAD. In the drawing below I like how the same artist has used different tones of paint to create shadow and tone of the petal of the flowers. I also like how she has filled the background with a brush of colour.


Within my drawing I have also taken inspiration from designers and high street brand textile designs:


These first two pieces I have taken inspiration from are by Zandra Rhodes, I discovered these pieces when doing research for dissertation. Rhodes is one of the 60s designers I have explored. These dresses  are from her sketchbook collection which was for Spring/ Summer 2013. I really like the motifs she has used within these designs, in particular the way she has used inks to create tone through mark making. The image below shows her iconic wiggles which she is known for. I like the way she has used dense and sparse areas of the motif she create a contrast in both scale and tone within the design.




This image above continues to inspire me. It is from Matthew Williamson spring ready to wear collection 2014. This piece was my initial inspiration for Ba7 and it has continued to inspire me within my drawings for Ba8. Im not sure what draws me to this design, I think it is possible its simplicity. It appears as if it could have been drawn by a child, it has a playful quality to it which I love.


This image above is from Topshops Spring Summer 2014 collection. I adore this print the use of texture is really interesting and the contrast of pastel tones of pink against black is really effect. I am keen to use this idea of texture within my designs. I think it works effectively within a digitally printed fabric.


No comments:

Post a Comment